Russian-American Summit of Young Leaders
From 6 to 11 October 2019, the "Russian-American Summit of Young Leaders" was held in Suzdal, Vladimir and Moscow, initiated by the Center for Modeling the Future, with the financial support of the Gorchakov Foundation.
The summit was held in the format of a diplomatic game in the form of an "Official Visit" of the top leadership of the United States of America to the Russian Federation, "Intergovernmental Consultations" and "Summit" and provided the participants with the opportunity to formulate concrete proposals for the development of relations and youth policy of the two countries.
The idea of holding the Summit, put forward by the Center for Modeling the Future, was initially supported by the Russian International Affairs Council, a non-governmental organization «Russian-American Cooperation Initiative», USA, in his personal capacity - Charles Taylor, American Congressman, member of the US House of Representatives from the 11th constituency of North Carolina in 1991-2006 and Vladimir Lukin, member of the Federation Council of the Russian Federation, first ambassador of the new Russia in 1992-93 in the United States, which instilled in the organizers confidence in the success and necessity of such a project in the context of difficult relations between Russia and the United States.
The recruitment of participants for the Summit was carried out on a competitive basis. The Organizing Committee received more than 120 applications from young people from Russia and the United States, which demonstrated the great interest of the younger generation in the topic discussed and the really powerful territorial coverage of Russia and the United States. As a result of the competitive selection, the Summit participants were young people and students from 18 Russian universities from 18 regions from St. Petersburg to Vladivostok, as well as students from 12 universities from 8 US states from Alaska to Texas.
Chairman of the Summit Organizing Committee, developer and project manager, Chairman of the Council of the Center for Modeling the Future, Deputy of the Moscow City Duma of the II convocation, Ph.D.
Academic Supervisor of the Project, expert of the Russian government delegation at UN sessions in New York, Director of the International Affairs Department of the NGO Parus Nadezhdy, Ph.D. in Political Science, Associate Professor, Corresponding Member of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences
Creation of a democratic platform for interaction of active talented young people from Russia and the United States, who have a burning desire to absorb knowledge, think productively and develop constructive proposals free from stereotypes in the field of cooperation between the two countries and youth public diplomacy.
Launch an effective format of interaction between the advanced youth of Russia and the United States in order to:
- Carry out a joint search for drivers of positive changes in relations between the United States and Russia and form a practical platform for the development of sustainable interaction and long-term cooperation;
- To work out joint proposals of the youth of Russia and the USA in the foreign policy processes that can change the negative character in relations between the two countries in recent years;
- To establish friendly ties and arouse mutual interest among young people from Russia and the United States in the language, traditions, economy and culture of each other;
- Promote the "rejuvenation" of diplomacy and the provision of voting rights youth;
- Demonstrate the beneficial effect of public diplomacy and youth cooperation in shaping anti-sanction sentiment among American youth.
Diplomatic Protocol Service and International Press Center
Gathering Russian and American participants and boarding the bus.
Meeting point: Cosmos hotel, Prospect Mira 150, at the monument to Charles de
Moving to Suzdal.
Accommodation at the hotel "Suzdal INN", st. Vasilievskaya, 27.
INFORMATION AND ORGANIZATIONAL SESSION: Meeting the participants.
Seminar "Russian-American Retrospectives"
Incubator of ideas: prospects for cooperation between Russia and the United States
Master class "Diplomatic Protocol as a Political Tool diplomacy. Required recommendations"
Acquaintance with the rules of the Youth Summit
Elections of the Youth Presidents of the Russian Federation and the United States of America
Appointment of senior officials of the Russian Federation and the United States - participants in intergovernmental consultations
Preparation of the opening ceremony of the Summit and "Intergovernmental Consultations"
City tour, visit to the Kremlin, the museum of Russian wooden architecture
Departure of participants by bus to Vladimir
Opening ceremony of the Youth Summit "Russia - USA: we are together modeling the future"
Panel discussion "Cultural diplomacy, sociocultural and youth cooperation today is the potential of the future"
Moving to Moscow
Federation Council of the Federation Council of the Russian Federation. Expert meeting "Cooperation between Russia and The United States in ensuring international security and control over weapons"
Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation. Expert meeting "Trade and economic cooperation between Russia and the United States"
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation
Meeting on the topic "Technological, business and trade cooperation of Russia and the USA: a look into the future"
Travel to ASI's "Boiling Point"
Meeting "Constructing reality by means of mass communication: yesterday, today and tomorrow."
Communication session with Russian cosmonauts in orbit on the ISS
Panel discussion “On cooperation between Russia and the United States in scientific, scientific technical, research and development cooperation space in the hotel "Cosmos"
Round table "Municipal public diplomacy - driver positive changes in the foreign policy of Russia and the United States"
Foresight session: modeling a constructive cooperation agenda Russia and the United States.
The final meeting of the joint commissions "of ministries and departments of Russia and USA"
Travel to the Public Chamber of the Russian Federation
Solemn ceremony of completion of the Summit and "Intergovernmental consultations"
BYSTROV Dmitry Borisovich
Chief Expert - Head of the Department for External Relations and Work with Business Councils of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation.
Director of the Institute of the USA and Canada of the Russian Academy of Sciences, professor, doctor of historical sciences, member of the Russian Council on International Affairs, member of the Academic Council and Dissertation Council on Political Sciences of ISCRAN
Ph.D. in Economics, Associate Professor at the Department of Diplomacy at MGIMO, Visiting Lecturer at the Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs at the Higher School of Economics
Program coordinator of the Summit Organizing Committee, has 20 years of experience as CEO in private holdings and in state corporations, has professional skills in crisis management, systemic development of social projects, innovations and projects in the field of charity.
The unconditional advantage of the Russian-American Summit of Young Leaders is, first of all, the fact that within the framework of this event the organizers managed to unite representatives of the young generations of such states, whose relations and foreign policy play one of the leading roles in the international political arena at the present time. The Russian Federation ranks first in the world in terms of territory, and the United States is fourth, so it was important to make sure that the voices of young leaders not only from the central regions of the countries were heard, it was important to involve discussion of the problem of all interested students. The RAYLS summit coped with this difficult task excellently: the lists of participants included residents of different cities and regions, from the city of Gainesville in sunny Florida to the cold Far Eastern island of Russky. This significantly expanded the range of exchange of views, ensured the maximum dissemination "to the masses" of ideas and theses formulated at the end of the summit. Now the organizers can make sure that the summit left indelible impressions and valuable memories for each of the participants. Many speak of summit as an important event in their professional development and note that the event largely influenced their worldview and views on how to build relations between Russia and the United States in the future. The organizers managed to establish a solid foundation for further dialogue between the younger generations of these two states. A special achievement can be considered the fact that a trusting and friendly atmosphere was not only created from the first day of the summit in Suzdal, but was also successfully maintained until the end of the summit in Moscow at a more formal level.
The implementation of the Project for the preparation and holding of the Russian-American summit of young leaders "We model the future together", initiated by the Center for Modeling the Future with the support of the Gorchakov Foundation, allowed:
1) Take part in the competitive selection for the right to become a participant in the summit, dedicated to the development of relations between such leading states as Russia and the United States.
2) Exchange views and further strategies for the development of relations between these countries with professional information support from more than 30 experts and joint intellectual creativity of more than 40 active youth representatives from different regions.
3) Realize the opportunity for US citizens and newly arrived representatives Russian youth to get acquainted with the cultural and historical features of Suzdal and the Vladimir region, visit iconic architectural structures and popular museums in these regions.
4) Take part in master classes and seminars on a wide range of topics - from culinary art in Suzdal before the presentation of media projects in Moscow - topics by creating a friendly atmosphere and ensuring a trusting relationship participants as part of teamwork.
5) Visit the highest government institutions of the Russian Federation (the upper chamber of the Russian parliament - the Federation Council, the Chamber of Commerce and Industry, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Public Chamber of the Russian Federation), as well as organizations of high cultural and scientific significance (the Boiling Point Strategic Initiative Agency and the Mission Control Center state corporation "Roscosmos").
Make a powerful intellectual breakthrough within the framework of foresight sessions and seminars, successfully complete the following tasks:
- to form a clear idea of the current situation in the relationship between Russia and the United States on the basis of conclusions drawn after reading expert point of view and visits to government offices.
- to determine the main trajectories for the further development of relations between the Russian Federation and The United States, to identify the highest priority areas of foreign policy of two powers and outline platforms for cooperation.
- develop and concretize your suggestions for improvement relations between the Russian Federation and the United States, compose a speech and present it at the official public speaking.
6) In a diplomatic game, take part in the elections for high-ranking government positions, try on the role statesman and exercise certain powers, stipulated by participation in the summit, namely:
- nominate candidates, elect the president and cabinet of government, representing this or that country.
- familiarize yourself with the requirements of the diplomatic protocol, diplomatic etiquette and the basic rules for holding meetings and meetings.
- gain experience in drafting such important government documents, like agreements, treaties, joint communiqués.
Between the Federal Agency for Press and Mass Communications of the Russian Federation (Rospechat) and the US Agency for Global Media on information cooperation
on the creation of a joint commission in the field of cooperation and coordination of joint projects.
on cooperation between Rossotrudnichestvo and the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs
between the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation and the Ministry of Education of the United States of America on amendments to the Agreement between the Government of the Russian Federation and the Government of the United States of America on scientific and technical cooperation dated December 16, 1993
between the American Chamber of Commerce and the Ministry of Economic Development of Russia on business and economic development
Committee on Security and Arms Control
between the State Corporation for Space Activities Roscosmos of the Russian Federation and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration NASA of the United States of America
meeting of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation and the Secretary of State of the United States of America in the framework of intergovernmental consultations
between the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment of the Russian Federation and the Environmental Protection Agency of the United States of America on the creation of an Intergovernmental Committee on the implementation of environmental initiatives in business
Of the Youth Presidents of the Russian Federation and the United States of America, signed following the Summit
I was pleasantly surprised by the level of organization of the event and would like to thank volunteers who accompanied us for these few hours - they were also a kind of decoration of the Summit. It was interesting to listen to the speakers from the Vladimir region, one could understand a lot of what is happening in the region and how it is developing. For example, the Vladimir region made a positive impression on me, and I will be glad to return there more than once.
Nikolay Dagaev, Russia
The summit of young leaders in Russia opened up new perspectives and presented an irreplaceable experience of communication with Russian students. By communicating with many people, I was able to compile a more detailed a different point of view on critical issues, that affect the relationship between the US and Russia.
Aislinn Stahl, USA
First, the general idea of rallying the youth of our states for the benefit of working in the areas of cooperation and solving the problems of our countries is a great idea. It is in this direction that we need move to end the current diplomatic crisis. The connections established between me, our Russian colleagues and my American fellow citizens will be key a tool in shaping our future relationships. it I know exactly.
Jeffrey Dunn, USA
I would like to express my gratitude to all the organizers of the event for their great work, which they spent. I would like to personally thank Irina Osokina for giving us such a great opportunity. For her strong-willed desire to hold the event in spite of all obstacles and problems. I express my gratitude to Oleg Motorin for his self-control and endurance in the most stressful situations.
Sergey Shevchenko, Russia
I would like to express my gratitude to the organizers for the idea of holding and the actual organization of this summit. Of course, organized teamwork as well as the opportunity to perform with your point of view. The whole program is structured quite richly and interesting. Most of all I liked the few discussion groups, most of them were in Suzdal.
Vladimir Mordvinov, Russia